Sunday, March 21, 2010

It's Spring!

This is one I meant to write a couple of weeks ago. Spring actually came to Austin a few weeks ago, beautiful weather, I think we even hit 80 already. In the fall, we prepped a large garden in the back. We piled a bunch of compost on and let it sit and break down all winter long. When it came time to plant, we had a beautiful base in which to do it. The back garden will be our vegetable garden. So far, I have transferred my herbs to one section, and planted some corn, potatoes, strawberries, cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, kale, and a couple of pansies. (Alex picked the strawberries, pansies, and kale). Everything is growing beautifully, I am so excited. I also planted my sunflowers in their traditional bed. They are sprouting and it promises to be another banner year for sunflowers.

Our peach tree is in full bloom at the moment, if we can avoid a late season deep freeze and hail storms we just might get some peaches this year. We haven't done anything in the front yard yet, still waiting to see what all comes back.

I still have many more things that I want to plant, some more herbs, tomatoes, peppers, transfer my bay leaf tree form the pot to the ground, start some verbena seeds, well you get the picture. Still lots to do!

Other signs of Spring in Austin: the trees dropped all of their leaves the past couple of weeks - yes it's a little backwards from most places who get leaves falling in the fall. I saw the first blue bonnets of the season this week, can't wait to get some pictures. Finally, as is true to springtime in Austin a nasty cold front blew through on the first official day of spring, complete with thunderstorms and gusty winds. We avoided freezing temps last night, might not be so lucky tonight. I have to go cover my veggies so that I don't lose them. The spinach is looking quite beautiful, I would hate for it to die off. Fortunately, this batch of cold is not supposed to last.

I'll leave you with a picture of my peach blossoms:

No comments:

Post a Comment