Sunday, August 23, 2009

Sleepy Time

You just never know how sleep is going to happen in this house. I am so accustomed to not getting more than 2 or 3 hours of uninterrupted sleep that when Ben has a really good night where he actually sleeps through until 5 or 6 I almost feel that I've had too much sleep!

But really, that's not the point of this post. Ben put himself to sleep yesterday for nap and then for bedtime. At nap he had fallen asleep in the car and didn't quite transfer to his bed. Everytime I went to get him he would smile and close his eyes pretending to sleep. Eventually he stopped wiggling around and actually just went to sleep - he never fussed or grumped. For bed, I read him "Ten Apples Up on Top" and he said he wanted to put himself to sleep. Again, I put him in the crib and walked out of the room. I went to check on him a few minutes later and he was sound asleep clutching his little yellow matchbox truck (he refused to go to bed without it!!).

I can't decide if this new found independence is good or bad. It's not often that he wants to snuggle with me so naptimes and bedtimes are always kind of nice. On the flipside, it's also nice to not have to sit with him for 20 or 30 minutes while he tries to fall asleep thinking of all the other things I should be doing. Anyway, who knows if it will last or not.

And Alex, yeah, he still wants one of us to lay with him for a little while before he falls asleep. At least now he knows we won't stay for more than a few minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment