Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Water Fun

Very glad we made it out for peach picking on Saturday as Sunday ended up being another day full of rain and storms.  Regardless of the weather, Mike had a great Daddy's Day.  

We finally got to have some real water fun yesterday that didn't involve rain!  A friend invited us to tag along to the lake at Brushy Creek and play with their very fun water toys.  The boys and I had a blast on the stand up paddle board and in the kayak. I have been in a kayak many many times but the boys have not.  Last summer we did all get in a canoe together (that was an adventure - 5 people made that one wobbly boat!).  So Alex and Ben did know how to use the oars.  After about 30 seconds of instructions and making sure they had life jackets on, I sent them off for their very first solo kayak and paddle board adventures.  I'm not sure who was more surprised that I let them go by themselves, them or me.  There really wasn't much choice - it's a one man kayak and only one man on the paddleboard.  I was prepared to jump in the lake for a rescue if they should get stuck in the middle and not be able to find their way back to shore.  Happily, that was unnecessary.  I did end up going for a couple of swims though as I lost my balance on the paddleboard.  

Turns out that Ben is quite a natural in the water. His favorite was the kayak and clearly that was where he was most comfortable. He was maneuvering the kayak around like a champ. Figured out how to get himself turned around when the current pushed him into the reeds.  Alex was also a natural in the water - he had the paddleboard figured out in no time, and that turned out to be his preference.  I did ask the boys not to try standing up on the paddle board, we'll save that for the next time.  Here are a few pictures from the day.  Ben is on the paddle board, Alex in the kayak, and I am standing on the paddleboard.  Really fun day.  Someday I'd like to have some of those toys, especially since I have a place to take them that is close and perfect.



No comments:

Post a Comment