Monday, October 27, 2008

Wascally Wabbits!

We've got a garden which has been somewhat neglected (OK, all but totally neglected) since the kiddos were born. Earlier in the spring I found a packet of quick-growing cantelope seeds. They sounded like fun, I thought Alex would enjoy it. Mostly it was just me wanting to do something "exciting" in my garden. So, into the ground they went. My seeds grew into sprouts which bloomed. The blooms quickly got eaten by the bunnies, every one. Out came the chicken wire, no more bunnies!! This is TX, and it gets hot. Really hot. Really, really, really hot this summer. All the gallons of water did not do anything to repel the heat and my vines wilted away. I wrote it off as a lost cause and thought well at least the vines were pretty for awhile.

Then came Sept. When we were out playing with the boys I decided to peruse the garden. To my surprise there was an honest to goodness cantelope growing. Then I poked around some more, I actually had 3 cantelopes! The heat had finally subsided and we had gotten some rain. There are "second crop" peaches, it seems I was growing some second crop cantelopes. Over the last two months I checked my cantelopes everyday, giving them water and attention. They weren't growing much in size (the largest was about the size of a softball), but they appeared to be ripening. Just yesterday I thought it was nearing harvest time. Apparently I wasn't the only one watching my mini melons. Some bunny dug under my chicken wire last night and swiped all 3. I hope the little guy had a good meal, because he sure did bum me out this morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment