Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Survival

This is a post that I have thought about for quite some time, but true to form, have never gotten around to until now. Again, I can't believe nearly a month has gone by since the last update, arrgghh! I swear I think about this all the time. Anyway, the point of the post. Initially I was going to do this after our very hard freeze and several nights of temps in the teens. It was going to be about the gardens or what was left of them. So I might as well do that now. Wow, even stuff that should do very well here in TX took a very hard hit. Only time will tell what exactly comes back this year. My aloe plant is brobably 50-75% gone, I lost my big avocado plant (which I had started from a pit of an avocado I got at the grocery store). The prickly pear cactus, this is the really sad one for me, the gorgeous cactus out front is by far the worst one now. They all kind of bent over and the small ones have mostly recovered but the ones of any size are just all but destroyed. In the back large hunks have broken off, these pieces are now piled around what remains of the original plant. They will take root and grow again. The one in front though, I just don't know what to do with it. It's worthy of a before and after picture, but I don't have that to post. I really don't know what else in the front garden is truly dead and what will come back. Some of the plants had gone dormant earlier but it is too soon to tell if they actually survived the cold or not. I lost most of my geraniums as well. Some of the herbs survived, the lemon and oliver trees are fine.

Anyway, enough of the garden, the title of this post seems to reflect our current state of being as well, in a good way. Mike is officially back at work, this is week 2 on the job. He is very happy, and while it started off being rough for me, I have settled into his routine and am well, surviving, just fine thank you very much.

OH Yeah, and we went to Disney World for a week. We had a blast, it was amazing, the boys were in 7th heaven and it really could not have been a better week. More on that later!

No comments:

Post a Comment